Friday, March 7, 2008

JOHN LESLIE "WES" MONTGOMERY

WIKIPEDIA
(March 6, 1925 - June 15, 1968)


Image from http://www.svpproductions.com

Wes Montgomery, jazz guitarist, is considered to be one of the jazz's best. I know that he was a favorite of both by brother and father which is why I know of him and still enjoy his music to this day.

Though many musicians are regarded as great, Wes Montgomery is a jazz icon who seems to have had a wide influence on jazz musicians who followed him. He played with Lionel Hampton, Cannonbal Adderly helped him get a recording contract and he turned down an offer to play with Cannonball Adderly to continue playing with his own band.

Take a look/listen to this clip from Ilbutunes on YouTube and maybe you'll understand all the bruhaha over this man who left us far too soon, Wes Montgomery.



Another great clip (I had to do two clips for this one) from Jazzytaka on YouTube.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I found your blog. My son is majoring in music at college and he is a saxophone man!! The tenor is his main instrument, but he plays them all. He is studying all music, but Jazz is his passion. I am sending him a link to your blog. He loves the history of Jazz Music and it's greatest musicians. If you check out my blog www.anniessavvycafe.com you will see a sax post that also has an attachment of my son playing the tenor for his classical music recital at college. It is really a moving piece of music. He aspires to have his own Jazz Club after college.

2sweetnsaxy said...

I'm so glad you found my blog too and I'll be right over to check out your blog and your son. :-) I think the jazz club is a great idea!