Monday, January 14, 2008

ROY AYERS

http://www.royayers.com
http://www.myspace.com/royayersubiquity



Roy Ayers is a jazz musician who also does a cross-over into funk and hip hop. I just know that no matter what style it is, the minute he starts playing that vibraphone it sounds like jazz to me. The man does plays a mean vibraphone, or vibes, which is like a xylophone. The difference between the two is that a vibraphone's bars are aluminum and a xylophone's keys are wood.

I've knowing Roy Ayers from way back when and by I mean musically, not personally. I bought his album You Send Me. Looking back now I know that what I liked was the smooth jazz sound of the vibraphone that it added to the music.

Because he crosses over into both I have to give you a sample of both. The vist video is more R&B and one of the old songs I know, Can't You See Me.

The clip below is a must see. It's a "vibe battle" between Roy Ayers and a member of his band, Dwight Gassoway (don't know if I spelled his name correctly). These guys can play and it's worth the few minutes to watch and listen. And I'll leave you with this link which is to a purely jazz song. This video is just a picture with music playing but it's very nice.

No comments: